There has been tremendous growth on localize.drupal.org lately thanks to new teams launching from all over the world. The latest ten teams launched are: Maltese, Uighur, Occitan, Bengali, Malagasy, Scots Gaelic, Sinhala, Tigrinya, Kurdish and Kyrgyz. We are approaching 100 teams fast with 94 translations projects in the system at the moment (including our testing group). There are also many more in the queue being discussed.
Since our last usability update in January, there have been a few subtle but hopefully helpful changes on the site, including the following:
- Direct linking to source strings is now even easier. The # marks that were previously hidden by default are now displayed as "list item markers" in the filtering list results, so they are a more natural part of the page. Just clicking them gets you the permalink for translations of the given source string.
- There were also some improvements in the backend. We've prepared the file packaging system to be able to provide progress status of their translation readiness at a later point. This also helped debugging some Drupal project release parsing issues.
- Partly as a result of those backend improvements, we now have a new release listing page for each project. See http://localize.drupal.org/translate/projects/views/releases for example. This exposes some previously internal data such as when did we pull in the release for parsing, how many files and actual source strings did we find in the release, and whether we found warnings in the releases. You can also look at details of a release, review the files we parsed and the warnings we found.
- The front page got some great new possibilities to order the Drupal core project status by different criteria. It is still ordered by language by default but it can be ordered by progress or contributor count. The contributor count only includes people who actually contributed to translations in that language (vs. members of the group). The language overview page got the same treatment and both pages got some better introductory help.
- The project listing page got alphanumeric filtering possibilities and is on its way to be simplified and get actual sorting support at a later point. It is not made up from one SQL query, so not exactly trivial to dress up with sorting features (much like the language listing pages), but it is going to happen.
- Projects removed from drupal.org or those which never had releases are not displayed in the project listings from now on. This was a long overdue bugfix and should make project browsing more meaningful.
- Translation export pages got lots of attention and are much more simplified. Archaic export options for CVS commits, or Drupal 6 or 5 structured packaging are gone. Remember to use l10n_update module for best experience downloading translations for your sites.
- Finally, you can actually trust the pager on the translation pages now, it will count the number of source strings to display not the number of translations and suggestions matched by your filter.
I hope these usability improvements make it easier for all of you to use the site day by day. As always, see the issues page to submit bugs and requests.